I agree with your comment about navigation – it was too linear, you never knew where you were in the application – so a menu breaking things out would be nice instead of feeling like you have to watch the whole thing in one long linear fashion.  Kudos though for using Flex, nice use of the quizzes – especially when you got something wrong and it immediately went back and replayed a review for you – nice instructionally.  Nice design and videos – some graphics needed a more professional touch though, like the panels showing text – a bit overdone and very
“early 1990’s-ish” – the rest of the interface looked good – except for the oddities you mentioned like the color bandwidth thing. Not only did it not make sense, but you shouldn’t convey information with color if it the only way to interpret that information – some people are colorblind.  Anyway, overall I would give it much more than a 4, but still needs some work.  Very impressive use of Flex for e-learning though.

Jason Merrill   |   E-Learning Solutions   |  icfconsulting.com

From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:flexcoders@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Scott Barnes
Sent: Thursday, November 10, 2005 8:57 PM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [flexcoders] Cool Flex Site with Free 30 day trial

I'm probably being over-critical but heres my thoughts:

  • Navigation needs work - Semantics behind the various buttons and their placements, are at first confusing (exit? does that mean exit the window, exit the application??? ) - Back To Main? tucked up to the top left corner, where it blends easily to the other top navigation, rather then why not place it  same position, but at the bottom, rather then top... etc..
  • 0% completed - whats that mean? do i sit and wait? or do i click, whats it mean! ;) (keeping in mind these aren't flex developers using it, more average pod worker)
  • Colors at the bandwidth? wtf are they?
  • UI panel flow - its too slideshow driven. There needs to be either some sort of crumb process in place, or something that allows me to cycle back 2 tiers if need be.. as this is more of an exploration application rather then a linear process.

I'm being critical for a reason, as we are all armed to the teeth with FLEX, meaning there is a lot of power at our hands. To simply praise an application like this is a success? disturbs me.. for example, were are the tooltips? fundamental usability tools are in our hands, and yet sites like this ignore them?  For me i place FLEX on a more strict position then i would say a html based solution, as there is no excuse other then "time".

To be honest, they probably just spent $30k on something they could get for less with say FLASH, as its very slideshow driven and nothing really exciting that makes overwhelming use of FLEX? more its something that any decent FLASH IDE developer could conjure... maybe there is more to it then meets the eye behind the scenes?

My verdict
4 out of 10

Pros:
- They use FLEX for eLearning which may win a future sale from one of us on the concept "see they do it, we can do it better"
- They have some really cheesy videos in place, that cracked me up (not because of their slap stick attempt at humour, but because it was so 1980's)