Mykola,

I'm about to head out to MAX in Hong Kong, so will pick up this thread
on your return.  What I would say is that if you find things are not
working for your needs, propose to us how you would alter Cairngorm to
make things better, before starting with a blank page.  We're very much
open to your comments and suggestions.

Very briefly:

1)      Commands

I'd like to hear your thoughts in more detail as to why the command
pattern is not as effective as anonymous classes ?  What do you mean by
"lots of dummy commands" ?  As an application scales, the command
patterns scales well also.

2)      Front Controller

Again, I don't quite understand your concern.  Command manipulates the
model, not the view (if you follow the ModelLocator), so command is
unaware of the implementation of the view.   What do you mean by
"accessing something by name" ?

3)      Singleton as anti-pattern

I just disagree here; that we choose these things to be singletons is
*because* we only want a single instance.  If you require multiple
instances, refactor the singleton to a factory pattern ?  Can you give
real use-case here as to why you might want to do this, and where
current implementation fails you ?

4)      Il8n

The architectural framework provides a prescriptive framework for
architecture, and doesn't choose to implement services in a prescribed
manner.  There is belief that internationalisation may become a core
part of the Flex framework, and Cairngorm elected not to prescribe an
implementation until this becomes apparent.  In the meantime, there is a
well described implementation by Benoit Hedard that fits within the
Cairngorm architecture, but does not rely upon it.

5)      No unit-tests

Fair point; however, we haven't prescribed mock objects as part of Flex
Unit, or asynchronous tests as part of Flex Unit, but that doesn't mean
they aren't strategies that can be implemented alongside Flex Unit.
Irrespective, the lack of prescribed unit-testing strategy is not to the
detriment of using the Cairngorm framework.  You can use the Cairngorm
framework, and adopt these testing strategies if you see fit.  I don't
understand this as an argument for or against adopting a Cairngorm-esque
architecture.

6)      Single Command Instances

We have an internal build of Cairngorm that doesn't have single command
instances, and creates a new instance per command.  It's not backward
compatible, which is why we chose not to release it as yet.

As for "we only use commands to be architecture megaguys and write lots
of lines of code".  I assume you're being flippant .... That we choose
to use Commands is because we find that it provides a readable and
maintanable code-base, that it supports feature-driven development, that
it encourages reuse and promotes refactoring of the code-base, and that
it enables collective code ownership.

Command patterns have worked for us on a large number of multi-team
projects, and I know it's working for a great number of other
developers.  If you can propose something that also achieves the above,
I'm open to suggestions.

Cairngorm is by no means "the true way, the only way", and I absolutely
agree that one could take alternate approaches to implementing a
framework microarchitecture.  However, I'd welcome that these approaches
be presented as alternatives, with their own justifications for the
rationale and motivation behind their particular implementations.

Incidentally; Cairngorm *is* open-source; your blog entry suggests that
it isn't ?

So; how would you do things differently ?  What are the problems that
you feel a framework for RIA has to address, what are the forces, and
how do you think you might go about your implementation ?  Do you agree
with the forces and motivations, and dispute their implementation, or do
you believe we are offering solutions to problems that do not exist ?

I genuinely look forward to your feedback; however, please excuse me if
I don't reply over the next week.

I'll be spreading the Cairngorm-word at MAX Greater China :-D

Best,

Steven

--
Steven Webster
Practice Director (Rich Internet Applications)

Office: + 44 (0) 131 338 6108
Mobile: +44 (0) 7917 428 947

http://us.click.yahoo.com/A77XvD/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/nhFolB/TM