Mykola,

Mmh, It's all about taking the better road...

Let's start with a premise: Flex 1.5 CAN be used to develop mission
critical applications ( evidence suggests this ). As can all of the
frameworks you suggested.

Second, I would say that Flex has the following differentiating
features in favor. See which apply to you:

- Development will be faster
- Will force you to create a well defined services layer. You can
evolve the presentation layer later
- You will gain RIA expertise that can be ported to Flex2 later ( or
XAML or other eventually )
- The final user will be positively impressed ( assuming you do a good work )
- You will have many new tricks which will eventually give you more
choices around use cases
- One more tech under your belt

Then, write down the flaws ( or negative features ) which you already
identified. Repeat the process for every other tech, then match by
subject and fill in a comparison matrix. Try to quantify them.

I have found that taking a cold minded economist's perspective
sometimes comes in handy. Specially when there are feelings involved.
Getting someone else in the decision process might help, and keeping
track of it is always a good way to CYA.

It's all about choices, not perfect solutions, isn't it.

Best,
Aldo

On 11/28/05, Steven Webster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Mykola,
>
> I've been asking around internally at Macromedia before I knew if I
> could say this or not...

> > >I believe Macromedia did not want to risk a strategy upfront, before
> > >realizing what the real requirements were...
> > >Could someone from macromedia develop on this?
> > >What is the state of things now? Will the new Cairngorm support it?
> > >will it be integrated into Flex2 later? IDE Support?
> > >You know, it is a critical common requirement ( every app
> > nowadays is
> > >intlzed )
> > Again we've added it to our framework. But I see no reason
> > why MM guys haven't done it themselves
>
> OK, so Internationalization support using resource bundles is part of
> the upcoming Flex 2 release.  I don't have any other details I can share
> at present however, but I'm sure more will be revealed during the Flex 2
> alpha.
>
> I hope you can understand, that with the underlying Flex framework
> supporting internationalisation, we didn't feel it necessary to
> hand-bake our own solution for Cairngorm.  Cairngorm has always been
> about guiding architecture, not providing services to the developer as
> such.
>
> Once the spec and implementation for internationalisation is tied down
> however, I'd suspect that we might put forward ideas as to how the
> feature can be leveraged within a Cairngorm application, if that is
> appropriate.
>
> My apologies I couldn't share this information sooner !
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Steven
>
> --
> Steven Webster
> Practice Director (Rich Internet Applications)
> Macromedia Consulting EMEA
>
> Office: + 44 (0) 131 338 6108
> Mobile: +44 (0) 7917 428 947

::::: Aldo Bucchi :::::