I should be looking at Flex 2 migration issues (but i'll take a
break).

You can have a flex datagrid be populated by a .net dataset
my .net webservice looks like this
[Webmethod]
public DataSet GetDataSet()
{
//code here
}

flex 1.5
<mx:WebService id="service1" ....>

in as code
function getdataset(){
 var call = service1.GetDataSet();
 call.onResult = mx.utils.Delegate.create(this, returnWebService);
}

function returnWebService(result){
 dg.dataProvider = result.diffgram.NewDataSet.Table;
}

i'm still playing around with passing a DataSet back not sure if its
possible.

oh and flashorb works (its very good).....if you like amf.

regards
bod

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, Clint Modien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> DataSets won't work... even "typed" ones.  Actionscript won't know
how to
> translate your DataSet into an actionscript object.
> I recommend creating a class based object model on the .net side.
That will
> serialize back and forth properly between .net and flex.
>
> I do remember reading about a product called flashorb (since
rebranded as
> weborb) which is a flash remoting product that has support for .net
> datasets.  Might work.
>
> If you do get datasets to work with flex you should post it back
to this
> group.  The problem has come up a few times.  With no solution.
>
> p.s. Macromedia had told me they would have a .NET solution for
flex data
> services over a year ago.  Strategic on there part that they
havn't built
> one yet.  If I were them... I wouldn't support Microsoft either.
*Cuz i
> know... given the opportunity... MS wouldn't support them*.  All's
fair in
> love and war i guess.
>

> On 12/14/05, fc989898 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Some more details: it's a .NET web service which expects a
DataSet as
> > input parameter.
> >
> > Since the array of MyClass objects is serialized by Flex as
<item>
> > elements, the resulting DataSet contains a DataTable
named "item",

http://us.click.yahoo.com/KIlPFB/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/nhFolB/TM