From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of jgraham_us
Sent: Thursday, December 15, 2005 2:25 PM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [flexcoders] Re: passing Map from Flex to server side

Going from server to client appears to be working fine.  My server
classes do not implement Map or Collection.  I have tried very simple
cases, and the Maps are not empty.

Here is an example.

Test.java
package testuser;

public class Test{

   Map<String, User> users;

   Map<String, User> getUsers() {

   void setUsers(Map<String, Users> users) {

Test.as
class Test
{
    Object.registerClass("testuser.Test","Test");

    var users : Array;

So are you saying that my object on the server side, users must be of
type ASObject, or do I have to implement some intermediate type then
build my server side Test object from this intermediate type that is an
ASObject?

Basically I need to get the Test object on the client side possibly
update it and then send that same object back and have it be a Test
(server side object) when I get it back on the server.

Thanks
--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Farland" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Note that while you can register classes using ActionScript on the
> client for serialization... there's no way to "register" a Java
class on
> the server. Your server type must not implement Map or Collection
as
> these types already have firm rules for server to client
serialization.

> This may be something to log for consideration for Flex 2.0.
>

> Alternatively, any chance are you returning empty Maps in any of
the
> properties?
>
> I ask because the following special case may occur:
>
> Empty Java Map -> Empty AS Associative Array -> Empty Java List
>
> This is because there's no distinction between an empty dense,
ordinal,
> i.e. normal AS Array and an empty AS Associative Array (i.e.
they're the
> thing, just an empty Array) and thus Array -> List.
>
> I'd contact Flex Support if you need a solution to the latter for
Flex
> 1.5. We've worked with customers on this problem.
>
> (NB: After several customer requests, Flex 1.5 reverted back to
match
> the legacy behavior from Flash Remoting's convention of returning
a Java
> Map as an associative Array instead of an Object... which
historically
> stems from ColdFusionStructs being return as AS Associative Arrays
> (...and note Flex 1.0 had Maps returned as Objects).
>
> In Flex 2.0 we've again moved to have Java Maps returned as AS
Objects