You should be able to just do parent.addEventListener("showType", ...)

Matt

-----Original Message-----
From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Rich Kroll
Sent: Monday, January 16, 2006 2:48 PM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [flexcoders] Flex2 Custom Component Event

Hello all,
I'm new to this list and am glad to join the community.  I've been
working
with flex 2 and have run into a problem I'm hoping someone here might be
able to help me solve.  I'm dispatching an event in my main mxml file,
and
need to have it be captured within a custom component I've created.  The
problem I'm having is that the custom component is created numerous
times
from within an <mx:Repeater> so I can't seem to attach the listener in
the
correct fashion.  Here is a snipped from my main app:

<mx:Script>

                import mx.collections.ArrayCollection;
                import flash.util.trace;

                public function broadcastShowType() {
                        dispatchEvent(new Event("showType"));
                        mx.controls.Alert.show("broadcast show event");
                }
</mx:Script>

<mx:Repeater id="list" dataProvider="{inventory}">
<mx:GridItem >
<inventoryItem id="invItem" invItem="{list.currentItem}" />
        </mx:GridItem>
</mx:Repeater>

Then within my component I've got:

        <mx:Script>
        private function initComponent() {
                addEventListener("showType", handleShowType);
        }

        private function handleShowType(event) {
                Alert.show("Received Event Notification");
        }
    </mx:Script>

I assumed that putting the addEventListener() within the component would
create it when the component was created, but it seems to be a local
listener, and will not receive events from the main app.  Considering
the
dynamic nature of how I'm creating the custom component, is there
another
way to add the event listener and have it able to respond to the outer
events?

Rich Kroll