AAL is the id I have given to the custom component. The state is
create prior to transition. So I know the state exists, and I know
that the property exists. However, I am unable to pass that var into
the state 'ntcl'.

I have also tried this

                public function ListState()
               {

                    parentApplication.currentState = 'etel';
                    adminEditList.fld_fileNum.text =
FSDG.selectedItem.FLD_USERLOGIN;

               }

But this does not work either, it keeps giving me this error.

ReferenceError: Error #1069: Property fld_fileNum not found on class
custom.components.sv.adminEditList and there is no default value
        at custom.components.sv::adminFileSearch/ListState()
        at custom.components.sv::adminFileSearch/__FSDG_click()

How would I use something like what you said, a holder var that I can
pass to the ntcl state.

Any help is greatly appreciated.