No, you can't set the name of a popup window; PopUpManager does that.

Instead, store a reference.

private var popups:Object;

function initApp()
{
    popups = {};
}

function showWindow(modal) {
uniqueID++;
    var popup = mx.managers.PopUpManager.createPopUp(
    _root,
    testWindowPopup,
    modal, {deferred: true});
    if(popups[uniqueID] != null)