FYI, I now can do what I want this way without using SetEventHandler:

    <mx:states>
        <mx:State name="SignOn">
            <mx:AddChild><fmsc:FMSConnector id="connector" /></mx:AddChild>
            <mx:AddChild><uic:SignOnForm id="signOnForm"
connect="connector.connect(event)"/></mx:AddChild>
        </mx:State>
        <mx:State name="Main">
        </mx:State>
    </mx:states>

Which is simpler. Still I'm a little surprised I couldn't do that with
SetEventHandler.
For example one of the things I tried:

<mx:SetEventHandler event="connect" target="{signOnForm}"
handler="connector.connect(event)"/>

gives the error:

Implicit coercion of a value with static type 'Object' to a possibly
unrelated type 'flash.events:Event'

Yours truly,
-Brian

Brian Lesser wrote:

>Hi,
>I'm having a problem with using SetEventHandler in Flex 2 beta. Maybe it
>doesn't do what I would like? Within a State tag I create a component
>and class. I'd like the class to listen for "connect" events from the
>component. I can do that in a few ways, but have not been able to set it
>up so that I receive the actual event from the component. A code snippet
>is below. In it I create an Event but that's not what I want. I want the
>event the signOnForm component is broadcasting... My apologies if I have
>missed the answer in the docs.
>I have tried things like
><mx:SetEventHandler event="connect" target="{signOnForm}"
>handler="{connector}"/>
>and
><mx:SetEventHandler event="connect" target="{signOnForm}"
>handler="{connector.connect}"/>
>without success.
>Yours truly,
>-Brian
>
><mx:states>
>    <mx:State name="SignOn">
>        <mx:AddChild><uic:SignOnForm id="signOnForm"/></mx:AddChild>
>        <mx:AddChild><fmsc:FMSConnector id="connector" /></mx:AddChild>
>        <mx:SetEventHandler event="connect" target="{signOnForm}"
>handler="connector.connect(new Event('connect'))"/>
>    </mx:State>
>    <mx:State name="Main">
>    </mx:State>
></mx:states>

Brian Lesser
Assistant Director, Teaching and Technology Support
Computing and Communications Services
Ryerson University
350 Victoria St.
Toronto, Ontario                   Phone: (416) 979-5000 ext. 6835
M5B 2K3                            Fax: (416) 979-5220
Office: AB48D                      E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Enter through LB66)               Web: http://www.ryerson.ca/~blesser