I have noticed that the following two lines are not equivalent:

   dataProvider = <classpaths label="Class Paths"></classpaths>;
   dataProvider = XMLList(<classpaths label="Class Paths"></classpaths>);

The first results in an ArrayCollection dataProvider while the second one results in an XMLListCollection.  Strange things happen with an ArrayCollection.  Using the second way, I didn't get the undefined error.  Good luck.