From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Brian Lesser
Sent: Saturday, February 11, 2006 8:18 AM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [flexcoders] Re: Flex2 and Amfphp is it possible ?

Hi Peter,
Any word on bug/feature request #154595? I've had a look in beta 1 and
didn't see anything there but I could easily have missed something.
Also I'm glad to see addHeader has returned to the NetConnection object
even though I can't get it to pass credentials to a legacy CFMX remoting

gateway yet. I filed a bug on that and related problems. Anyway if
RecordSet or something similar that will be compatible with legacy apps
has been added it would be great to know.
Yours truly,
-Brian

Peter Farland wrote:

>>I can tell you, however, that Flex 2 Data Provider API is
>>considerably different. I believe the mx.remoting.RecordSet
>>API as it stands in Flex 1.5 is an inadequate data provider
>>for Flex 2 components.
>>

>How can plain old web services, which are totally generic, be adequate
>but not recordsets?
>
>[Pete] Sorry, I should have explained further. Flex 2 components use
>mx.collections.ICollectionView to manage data that may have also come
>from a remote location (implying that users might have to consider
>paging concerns when all of the data is not present on the client). If
>mx.remoting.RecordSet is ported to AS3 and made to extend something
like
>mx.collections.ListCollectionView things would start to look better for
>legacy data interacting with new components.
>
>I think this is a reasonable request for legacy application support - I
>logged an enhancement request as bug #154595.
>
>Not that this is a consolation to your situation, but note that we have
>new, more advanced and very flexible frameworks for managing remote
data
>in Flex Enterprise Services 2 - keep an eye out for a Beta of this
soon.

>>Also, how were you constructing these on the server?
>>CF Query objects?
>>

>Brians story is different from mine which I am sure is different for
php
>users. But I construct all of my recordsets with JDBC resultsets.
>Cached rowsets to be exact. I suck lots of complex queries right out of
>the database and send them to flash. The data never becomes serialized
>POJOs.
>
>[Pete] Very cool. The format of a JDBC resultset (well, cached rowset
as
>you accurately state), and a CF Query were the same over the wire
>according to Flash / Flex. The structure is pretty simple. Did you make
>use of paging by any chance?

Brian Lesser
Assistant Director, Teaching and Technology Support
Computing and Communications Services
Ryerson University
350 Victoria St.
Toronto, Ontario                   Phone: (416) 979-5000 ext. 6835
M5B 2K3                            Fax: (416) 979-5220
Office: AB48D                      E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Enter through LB66)               Web: http://www.ryerson.ca/~blesser