Eric Raymond wrote:
> My main question is who is this model intended to protect?

Other folks had good info... another way I've seen to get the idea
across is that this "same domain" sandboxing is a necessity because the
clientside Macromedia Flash Player can execute behind a firewall, so
arbitrary servers behind that same firewall must not be invisibly tapped.

But you raise a larger issue here, in that this objection/query comes up
about every two weeks on this list and in other discussions talking
about Player mechanics. I see that the top link for search term "why
crossdomain.xml" shows a Macromedia technote which explains "why" as
"because of security reasons"... maybe we need to do a better job of
getting the actual understandable rationale inside each document which
discusses the issue, to put the subsequent details in context? Your
thoughts...?

jd

--
John Dowdell . Adobe Developer Support . San Francisco CA USA
Weblog: http://weblogs.macromedia.com/jd