There are two variations to my question, but they should share a common
solution:

1) I want to create a "glass pane" - ie, a transparent layer that can
capture/consume mouse events without allowing the event to bubble to a
component below it. I've tried to achieve this effect with a transparent
Canvas, but the component below it (eg, a TextArea), also catches the
event.

2) I have a floating toolbar that extends Canvas. I don't want to use
the PopUpManager because of issues with the FocusManager and TextArea
that causes text to be selected incorrectly when focus is returned after
focus was transferred to a toolbar button. If the toolbar is floating
above the TextArea component, the cursor changes to an ibeam. If I click
down on the toolbar to drag it, the toolbar drags, but the TextArea also
gets the events, causing text to become selected. I want the toolbar to
consume the mouse events occurring on it without any further event
bubbling.

Since the toolbar has a mouseMove handler that allows me to drag it, I
can drag even by pressing mouse down on a toolbar button. I guess the
toolbar as parent is receiving and handling the mousedown, even though
the mouse down event is also propagating to its child button component
as well (I actually do not want this behavior either, but I suppose I
can solve this easily enough with hitTest). But what is really
interesting is that the event stops there if it's caught by the button
-- the TextArea below the toolbar doesn't get the event in this case. So
something about a Button or its superclasses makes it special, but the
difference isn't apparent to me in the AS source provided with Flex.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

-Tony

tony pujals| senior engineer | Yahoo! SiteBuilder Express
p. 408.349.6284 | e. tonyp * yahoo-inc . com | y!id tonypujals