> Flex needs a way to embed html based content in the app. As far
> as I know, no solution exists except IFRAMES. After trying everything
> I could think of for a week, I've come to the conclusion what's needed
> is a scalable component that uses something like DENG
> (  http://claus.packts.net/  )  to render HTML as a SWF. To be truly
> useful, the component would have to be able to render any "foreign"
> URL on demand, and at least do a decent job with most.

It shouldn't be hard to plug DENG 1.0 into Flex 1.5 (it should be
possible to even plug it into Flex 2 although you'd have to find a way
for Flex 2 to communicate with DENG, or more generally, for AS3 to
communicate with AS1/2 - the only way i can think of to do that is
using wicked localconnection tricks).

However, i don't think DENG 1.0 will "be able to render any foreign
URL" (not 100% sure what you mean with that). Firstly, it expects
wellformed XHTML (it won't render HTML), and secondly, the engine does
not support the full CSS box and line box models (for example, we use
the Flash TextField object to render inline level elements, and we do
not support floats, absolute positioning and the likes - most of these
limitations will be gone with DENG 2.0 though)

> Last I heard, Claus & Co are ontop of it and have been holding out
> due to the limitations of pre-8.5 world of luv.

We are currently in planning/standby/prototyping mode for DENG 2.0
(written in AS3). The reason we haven't announced anything yet are
ongoing negotiations with some entities who are interested in funding
DENG 2.0. The final product will be designed to plug seamlessly into
Flex 2 (amongst many other things).
cheers,
claus.