Also what is the limitation on the size of the xml embeded in
the swf?

I think, you can embed quite good amount of data in SWF in Flex 2.0. Where as Flex 1.5 had some limit. Check out the Flexcoders FAQ, link is in the footer of this email.  You can also search the flexoders archive, I remember it has been discussed once.

-abdul