My guess is the consideration for the people on dial up.  My mom and dad can only get 28.8 (sometimes they connect @ 14.4)  (That's like 3KB/sec max transfer.)  An average flex app... is like what... 200KB ?

200KB / 3KB/sec = (start > run > calc) 66.66 seconds...

I go crazy when I visit.  (This does presume that I wasn't crazy before I got there however.)