Regarding the comment on Flash penetration below, I don’t know how representative this is of the entire browser market, but my experience with getting users to upgrade has been positive to date. The other day I was giving a demo and speaking to a person over the phone who was prompted to update his flash player version; he immediately did so without problem, restarted his browser and within a moment was ready to proceed with the demo.

Personally, I’ve never seen a user balk when the browser prompted him/her to upgrade Flash. It certainly isn’t the same proposition that updating the Java plugin is. I can’t speak officially, but I don’t see upgrading to Flash 8.5 being a reason to be reluctant to exploit the new player and all that Flex 2.0 brings to the table. I have an impression that quite a few users never upgrade Flash for the same reason they don’t upgrade Acrobat reader. They simple haven’t been prompted to do so for any of the content they have accessed, or didn’t feel the content was compelling enough to tempt them.

I’m sure some people might be put off by it, and I realize there are admins out there who actively prohibit ActiveX (and upgrades), but if it really is a huge showstopper, I’d really like to hear some evidence of that. It would be good to factor that into our internal decision making processes, but for now I would say that from an engineering and product management perspective, we’re not the only ones eagerly awaiting the 8.5 release.

My 2 cents only….

tony pujals| senior engineer | Yahoo! SiteBuilder Express

p. 408.349.6284 | e. tonyp * yahoo-inc * com | y!id tonypujals