Richard,

To be perfectly honest the ability to publish to alternative runtimes was
the deciding factor for us to initially look at OpenLaszlo. Having a
language abstracted from it's runtime was/is very appealing as it (in
theory) allows you to republish your applications on future platforms so
long as the framework is ported, and the compiler supports it - being open
source guarantees this is always a possibility.

However, I've since taken a long time to rethink that idea - and while it
seems like a great idea (in theory), I'm not too sure about how desirable
that may be in reality. Chances are if you're looking to migrate to another
platform in the future it's to take advantage of a specific feature set - or
it's out of necessity as the platform you're currently using is
obsolete/unsupported. So, in the first case re-publishing your existing
codebase to the new platform might actually be more headache than it's worth
(ideas/concepts from LZX that don't easily translate to the new platform),
and there could be huge gains (features, performance) to be had in
re-architecting from scratch at that time. Regarding the second issue, if
the Flash Platform and/or Flex disappears chances are there will be
migration paths available as there will be far too many people requiring
solutions to ignore.

Also, OpenLaszlo only typically implements things that are possible on ALL
targeted runtimes - basically targeting the lowest common denominator.
Therefore platform specific features (binary sockets, camera/microphone
access, etc) may not actually be implemented - leaving a reduced palette
with which to build your applications. With OpenLaszlo you give up depth
(features) for breadth (reach) - which actually sounds very similar to Ajax.
I'm really not sure how OL is going to handle audio and video moving forward
- especially with the Ajax deployment - possibly a SWF/Ajax hybrid?

I'm also somewhat wondering what other runtimes it makes sense for OL to
publish to - and what featues of the respective platforms get left behind?
- Java: is this even realistic on the client today? Even in the mobile space
developers are looking for alternatives (or fixes) to J2ME.
- .NET: does it make sense to publish to this platform (Windows Forms) as
XAML/WPF seems to be the focus moving forward on the MS client
- XAML: seems to be a few years out, and by all reports so far it's missing
a lot of what Flash does today.
- the greatest client solution that has yet to be been invented... If you
have a crystal ball now would be a good time to use it. ;-)

The one thing that does bode well for OL is it's involvement in the WHAT-WG
(I believe Adobe/Macromedia are also involved), the W3C web app working
group and the OpenAjax projects with IBM, OpenWave, etc - all which could
see LZX make some headway in how RIA apps are constructed. The issue is
still, what is the target runtime for these apps? Current browsers/ajax?
Nope. The greatest client solution that has yet to be invented... Again,
anyone got a crystal ball?

Sincerely,

Bryan