HI all,

As we have it right now ( using Flexunit ) there is a lot of boiler
plate code needed to write a testcase, and the separation of tests
from the actual classes adds some overhead to refactoring. This is not
new, but an old PITA that, in my opinion, is already common enough to
be refactored into the workflow.

So given that we are "changing the way the world engages with ideas
and information" alltogether, why not take a bold step and integrate
unit testing into the IDE?

The way I see it, creating a unit test shouldn't even require us to
leave the IDE for editing nor execution.

Just off the top of my head, to get the debate going.

* Edit an actionscript class as I normally would
* Open the unit test editor within the IDE
** optionally right click on the outline to indicate scope ( on a
method, or just over a class )
* edit just the working code for the tests ( the IDE takes care of
relative package management )
* Note that I could also start by creating the test case ( as in strong TDD )
* execute the test by clicking run, or simply on the "unit test
outline" ( which could be somehow integrated with the main outline,
depending on the scope of each test )
* The source for the tests is then saved within the very same target
source code ( as an interwoven comment, or in the bottom of the
class...? ), or on the standard tests/ folder in the package, etc.

I know the endeavour is not trivial, but it would surely make the
workflow much much faster and straightforward.

I mean, if XP is the advocated methodology for Flex RIA dev, why not
make TDD an OOTB feature in FlexBuilder.

Best,
Aldo

--
::::: Aldo Bucchi :::::