I actually have multiple columns in my dg which is why I am using
dgResources.addItem( {dept: cmbDept.selectedItem} );
I cut down the example for simplicity. However, I did try the example
you suggested and it gives me a statement incomplete error. I think
it needs a identifier for each specific column.

Would I have to somehow loop through the new object in the combo box
and pull each specific item out?