To clarify further, the ability to push data to the client is the messaging server that I mentioned. This is different from the existing SMS gateway in ColdFusion 7. There is a new gateway for ColdFusion that passes data between Flex Data Services and ColdFusion via a messaging system; this is the ColdFusion Adapter. (The adapter may have additional uses but I am not clear on what those might be.) Since it is a gateway, you must be using a version of ColdFusion that supports the gateway, which means ColdFusion 7.1 enterprise.

Hope that helps,
Jennifer