Hi simeon,

I finally figured out a work around solution after quite a few
permutations on the databinding situation.

------------- thumbnail.mxml ( the itemrenderer) --------------------

  [Bindable]
    public var category:CategoryVO;

   <mx:Model id="catDat">
       <catData>{data as CategoryVO}</catData>
   </mx:Model>

------

Basically, I have to setup a dataModel and cast the incoming data object
into the correct VO.  I really think that this is a binding bug because
the Tilelist that is driving this thumbnail itemrenderer is an
ArrayCollection of CategoryVO's.  Somehow, the bug is dropping the type.