Hi Matt, thank you for the response, it was much appreciated.  It
sounds like the framework for this feature is still being fleshed out.

As I think more about it, a lazy association is a lot like paging,
except that the first page needs to be retrieved when a control
becomes visible - just like with paging when the second page needs to
be retrieved as the first page "runs dry".  The lazy association array
is delivered "dry" before we've scrolled down at all.  Maybe much of
the paging code could be utilized.

The child record count is an important way to detect an empty
relationship vs a not-yet-loaded one.  The count would be the first
thing to retrieve with a lazy association, and should be stored to
indicate empty vs uninitialized.

Instead of passing a null array, could we return some sort of an
"paging array object" which has array status, total record count,
current page number and the array itself as properties?  This way the
client will know what it's dealing with.

It would be a terrific feature to be able to subscribe to the
association (lazy or not, paged or not, or lazy and paged) which is
specific to the parent in the relationship, like Order-->Detail or
Customer-->Invoices.

Take for example two people are editing the same sales order.  Line
items being added by one operator could be sent to the other, totals
kept in sync, etc..  An awesome way to exploit the messaging protocol...