Would you say that it is one of the better/key features of the Flex framework?

Simon

From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Steven Webster
Sent: 11 May 2006 11:51
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [flexcoders] Flex 1.5 Cairngorm and Data Binding

Simon,

Data-binding is good.  Very good.  We advocate it hugely, and the ModelLocator pattern which we added to Cairngorm was our way of encouraging people to leverage data-binding more than we were seeing they were, during consulting engagements.  Have bindings.  Lots of them, between the Model (ModelLocator) and the view (your MXML components).  Let data-binding do the hard work of model-view notifications.

Data-binding is simply a short-hand notation for setting up observers/listeners; if you didn't use data-binding, you'd have to do this heavy-lifting yourself.

Perhaps data-binding can be abused (used the wrong way - though I can't offer any examples), but overused ?  I don't think so.

Best wishes,

Steven

Steven Webster
Practice Director (Rich Internet Applications)
Adobe Consulting
Westpoint, 4 Redheughs Rigg, South Gyle, Edinburgh, EH12 9DQ, UK
p: +44 (0) 131 338 6108