write this off top my head,
but there are two phases for event, one is capturing phase, the other bubbling phase.

I guess what you need to do is like this:

Application.application.addEventListener("keyDown", onKeyDown, true);

setting third param to true will switch to capture phase, then you get the chance to do :

keyEvent.stopPropagation()
keyEvent.stopImmediatePropagation()

as Michael suggested, this will prevent keyDown event from being picked up by underlying components.

see if that works.