ummm.... what's wrong with Benoit Hediard's (Benorama) Cairngorm2
reworking (of Ben Forta's) phone selector app?

it's up to date with the Beta 3 changes and works a treat. Shows off
Cairngorm2 structure and useage nicely. my install process was a touch
different but it *does* work

check the list archives, even as reciently as last week.
or
http://www.richinternetapps.com/archives/000148.html

also, michael corbridge is doing a re-vamp of the Cairngorm Sample
Store with FDS connectivity. his sample files also include a word doc
to play "dorithy dix" type questions on "why cairngorm" (i've been
asked some of these exact same questions! - now I have answers...)

read more around this thread
http://mail-archive.com/flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com/msg27285.html

HTH
barry.b