Yesterday, I developed a simple web app using cairngorm. I made a simple mistake when trying to use a coldfusion cfc through webservice. It seemed like if you serve a cf function as a webservice, all the variables declared with <cfargument> are requied, doesn't matter if you use requied="yes" or not.

I forgot about this. and instead used <webservice> tag to call the function without passing any paramters.

The followings are the exceptions printed out by flex:

TypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference.
at com.dgtech.business::Services/__materialDelegate_fault()
at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEvent()
at mx.rpc::AbstractService/dispatchEvent()
at mx.rpc.soap.mxml::WebService/dispatchEvent()
at mx.rpc::AbstractOperation/http://www.adobe.com/2006/flex/mx/internal::dispatchRpcEvent()
at mx.rpc.soap::Operation/http://www.adobe.com/2006/flex/mx/internal::invokePendingCall()
at mx.rpc.soap::Operation/send()
at mx.rpc.soap.mxml::Operation/send()
at mx.rpc::AbstractService/http://www.adobe.com/2006/actionscript/flash/proxy::callProperty()
at com.dgtech.business::LoadMaterialDelegate/getMaterials()
at com.dgtech.commands::GetMaterialsCommand/execute()
at org.nevis.cairngorm.control::FrontController/::executeCommand()
at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEvent()
at com.dgtech.view::applicationMain/loadMaterial()
at com.dgtech.view::applicationMain/___Button2_click()

From the error message, there is no way you can tell that the error is because of the missing parameter. It took me a long time to figure it out eventually. Initially I thought it was something wrong with the way that I setup my event.call.resultHandler function.

So I was just wondering if it's possible for flex to give some more useful/meaningful error messages for the errors related to rpc calls.

Thanks,

Larry