http://labs.blitzagency.com/wp-content/xray/flex2/Xray.html

right click>View Source

Ok, just be warned, although this is open source, I haven't cleaned up the source ;)  I had 5 days (yes, 5) to convert the old Xray interface into flex2, so there's some "not so elegant code" - go easy on me ;)

What you're looking for is in Xray.mxml.   AT the top are the states that are defined.  The top 3 are used with the propertyinspector (datagrid).  They all call
setPropertyListeners
(stateName:String):void
There's a switch statement in there for determining what listeners need to be set up etc.  Once that's set up, they primarily all talk to PropertyTools.as for dealing with updating the data etc based on the state.

again, i'll be refactoring as I go to clean up for the official release to OS, but have fun for now.

apologies if you go mad.

JG