If you need J2EE capabilities then you can use: http://geronimo.apache.org/

I think JBoss is J2EE too but I am not sure.

Last time I checked (beta 2) FDS is just a .war file and as such can be deployed on Apache Tomcat which is very free.

I would say stick with whatever language you find most useful if you already have a preference but if you don’t have one then consider that FDS itself is written in Java.

--Kelly