Drome-
  Thank you so much for your help. I was able to modify your regEx to
make it work for my needs. I just needed to add in a piece for return
characters and form feeds as well.

The regex i used was:
 var pattern:RegExp = /\n|\r|\f/gi
 var htmlstr : String  = htmlTextString.replace(pattern, "" );
 var m:String = ExternalInterface.call("changeDocumentTitle",htmlstr);

And the code for the js method being:

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
    function changeDocumentTitle(a) {
        var generator=window.open('','name','height=400,width=500');
        generator.document.write(a);
        generator.document.close();
        return "successful";//this gets assigned to flex variable 'm'
above
    }
</SCRIPT>

http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/nhFolB/TM