Ok,
I did some more research.
You cannot programmatically make AS3 movieclips.
Ali Mills has a blog post with a workaround using localconnection until Blaze is available

http://www.asserttrue.com/articles/2006/05/16/library-type-assets-in-actionscript-3-0-using-assets-created-with-current-releases-of-flash-authoring

Thanks Ali...

Hil

--

On 6/18/06, Hilary Bridel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Weyert, that's correct.
If I cant do it with a flash 8 swf, how can I make a flash 9/AS3 movieclip so I can use it in Flex with gotoAndPlay etc.
The AS3 docos say that you can only manipulate AS3 movieclips.

Hil

--