Has anyone tried loading any fairly large dataset from an HTTPService
into an ArrayCollection and then binding it to a DataGrid.  I have a
75mb XML (Unicode) file that contains ~54,000 records.  I'm trying to
do as I just stated with this file.

I sure anyone reading this is laughing and asking why I would do such
a stupid thing, but bear with me for the sake of BETA testing.

I find two problems occurring:

1)  The Flash Player (and Web Browser) often crashes.  I get errors
like "The Shockwave Flash plug-in has performed an illegal operation;
it's recommended you restart Firefox immediately."  The error dialog
in IE6 is different but conveys the same general message.

2) If it does not crash, it consumes almost 1GB or RAM to load this
75MB file.  I understand that building and binding the objects in
memory will use more RAM that the size of the file itself but this is
a very big difference.

Also, in my actual application I use a Web Service to load the file in
chunks of 50-100 records per request and add them to the (already
bound) ArrayCollection in a loop.  This ALWAYS crashes in both IE and
Firefox without fail.  It usually happens after only 1000 records or so.

Has anyone else experienced this behavior, or been foolish enough to
try this?

- Kelly

http://us.click.yahoo.com/TISQkA/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/nhFolB/TM