I am attempting to port work that I have done with the old remoting
model into the new one.

In the old model, I leveraged a feature that allowed JDBC ResultSets
to be sent from the Java server to the Flash client and for that data
to be received as a RecordSet and displayed properly in a DataGrid.

I want to be able to do the same thing within Flex, and I would love
to know if my strategy should work.

The issue boils down to how Flex converts data of type java.util.Map.
In the documentation it says that such data gets converted into an
untyped Object. So if I send a java.util.Collection of java.util.Map
objects, will Flex convert that into an ArrayCollection of Objects?
And if so, would Flex recognize the types of the *fields* in these
untyped objects (formerly java.util.Map) in the ArrayCollection so as
to be able to properly render a DataGrid with column names and
properly typed data?

If so, this would allow me to write one routine that converts my
ResultSet data into something that Flex can read without having to
create all of these object on the Java side that have no purpose other
than creating typed data for sending to flash. The need to do this,
from my perspective, just creates another layer of potential error,
and makes the overall code more brittle. So aside from my being lazy,
another motivation is to reduce the number of places I have to
maintain my schema to make my code more maintainable. I would prefer
to just maintain it in my database, and in the Flex client, and not
also in my "conversion" code.

So any insight on this would be appreciated. I would "code first and
ask questions later", but since I am not yet super fast with Flex/AS3
I thought I would ask the group. Also I think this discussion could
yield (or retrieve) a useful design pattern.

Hank

http://us.click.yahoo.com/6pRQfA/fOaOAA/yQLSAA/nhFolB/TM