I'm very new at this, so I gave you all the info I really have.  As Tim said, in the *future*, SWFs created for Flash 9 and up will likely be very friendly with Flex.  But the help is pretty clearly stating that right now anything made for 8 and below can only talk using LocalConnection.  But who knows, maybe the docs are incomplete/wrong on that part.  Like I said, I'm very new at this...