I still think something is going on here... the static size on the
text area is irrelevant (and in my real property sheets, doesn't even
exist). The actual property sheet is a canvas full of quite a few
controls.

You say that minHeight and minWidth are used with percentage sizes.
That's exactly what I'm trying to do. See the example below where the
minHeight and minWidth have been set along with percentages (and I
took out the static sizes on the text area for clarity). When the size
of the property sheet reaches the minimum height and width, the
container should show it's scrollbars. It doesn't (or rather they're
clipped). What I want is the mins to kick in when the canvas becomes
too small, and that cause the container to show it's scrollbar. As the
application window is made smaller, the containers should resize
dynamically (they do for a little bit), and never clip the scrollbars.
The only minHeight/minWidth I set is inside the container that should
scroll the property sheet. Make sense?

Thunder

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mx:Application
        xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml";
        xmlns="*"
        layout="horizontal"
        height="100%" width="100%"
                verticalScrollPolicy="off"
                horizontalScrollPolicy="off"
                clipContent="false">

        <mx:HDividedBox
                height="100%" width="100%"
                creationPolicy="all"
                verticalScrollPolicy="off"
                horizontalScrollPolicy="off"
                clipContent="false">

                <mx:Canvas id="LeftPanel" width="30%" height="100%" />

                <mx:VBox id="propertySheetContainer"
                        width="70%" height="100%"
                        horizontalScrollPolicy="auto"
                        verticalScrollPolicy="auto"
                        clipContent="true">

                        <mx:Canvas id="PropertySheet"
                                height="100%" width="100%"
                                minHeight="450"
                                minWidth="550">

                                <mx:TextArea height="100%" width="100%" />
                        </mx:Canvas>
                </mx:VBox>
        </mx:HDividedBox>
</mx:Application>