Hi Dude,

I'll do my best to answer a few of your questions.

mthielman11 wrote:
> Hello everyone.  I have beeen following flex for quite sometime during the
> beta process. I
> am currently beginning work on a large scale web based application.  We are
> basically
> migrating several different apps, some web based, some java based, to a new
> platform.
> We have spent the last couple of months exploring a JSP based solution
> running on Resin
> and connecting to a java based API with MySQL on the back end.  I am now
> considering
> flex.
>
> The app is a medical management based app that will consist of several
> different modules
> which all provide different, though related funcitonality.  Things like
> browsing a medical
> claim, enter a medical bill.
>
> I have a couple questions.
>
> 1.  IS flex well suited for large, multi module apps?  Can it provide any
> real advantage or
> JSP?

Yes. Flex was built to scale to the conditions you describe. It also
uses a new ActionScript Virtual Machine AVM1 in Flash Player 9 that is
extremely fast.
> 2.  Is the application just one big MXML file with many states or lots of
> little MXML files?
> Or a combination of some kind, such as each module is an MXML with different
> states?

Depends what is being built. What I have seen that works, is that you
have one main application mxml page and numerous other mxml components
or mxml files. There is documentation being written now exactly on how
to go about this. There is also a thing called Cairngorm that has a sort
of setup already created for large scale enterprise level apps that you
can use to get "right to it" so to speak.
> 3. IS FDS the best way to interact with a java API or are there other ways?
>
> 4. HOw do I run the app?  Can it run on resin?  I see it can be deployed as a
> WAR file but
> have yet to figure out how to do that.

You publish to a SWF file and upload that a server. The SWF is embedded
in an HTML file. The SWF file makes calls to to myriad of services on
the server similar to how a form is submitted in html. Flex also uses
addtional protocol called ActionScript Message Format or AMF if you
will. AMF allows for highly compressed and extremely fast communication.

A lot of additional resources are coming out as soon as next week. I'm
talking about books here. There are already new articles daily online. I
am confident that Flex will be the best tool for the job.

Judah
PS I have come from a similar background

"Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than
any one thing."

"You can have anything you want - if you want it badly enough. You can be
anything you want to be, do anything you set out to accomplish if you hold to
that desire with singleness of purpose."

- Abraham Lincoln

http://us.click.yahoo.com/2pRQfA/bOaOAA/yQLSAA/nhFolB/TM