What I ended up doing if anyone's interested is modifying the XP coldfusion service to "manual" mode (so it wouldn't start up automatically), then editing the jvm.config file to include these arguments:

-Xdebug -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_shmem,server=y,suspend=n

then opening a console window and starting coldfusion from there:

jrun -start coldfusion

Any exeptions are caught and outputed to the console.  This is pretty much what I was looking for: a way to output CF errors when working only within a flex application.

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Erich Cervantez" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thanks Shannon. I'll give SeeFusion a try, although the 2-hour trial
> time limit seems a little silly.
>
> The Flash 7 Trace Viewer didn't really work at all for me...perhaps it
> was due to the fact I'm running Flash 8.
>
> Erich
>

> --- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Shannon Hicks" shan@ wrote:
> >
> > He mentioned that he was already running ServiceCapture... the
> problem was
> > an error in his CF code before the query fired & was returned. For that,
> > SeeFusion (or starting CF from the command line) does the trick :)
> >
> > Shan
> >
> > _____