I'm not seeing the problem you are having.  Also, you have syntax errors in your code below so I'm curious if this was actually what you used.  Here's my modified version, which worked fine (i.e. I got the trace output for the set):

package
{
  import mx.containers.HBox;

  public class MyComp extends HBox
{

  private var __months:Array;

  public function get months():Array

    {

      return __months;

    }

  public function set months(monthArray:Array):void

    {

       trace("the value is getting set");

      __months = monthArray;

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml" layout="absolute">
  <mx:Script>
    <![CDATA[
      [Bindable] public var anotherArray:Array = [{x:1}];
    ]]>
  </mx:Script>

  <ns:MyComp months="{anotherArray}" xmlns:ns="*"/>
</mx:Application>

I've got a custom class. The class has a getter/setter method for variable called months

Class MyComp extends HBox

{

  private var __months:Array;

  public function get months():Array

    {

      return __months;

    }

  public function set months(monthArray:Array):void

    {

       Trace("the value is getting set");

      __months = monthArray;

I try set the value with an mxml tag

<ns:MyComp months="{anotherArray}" />

If I do this I get no trace from the setter method

<ns:MyComp months="anotherArray" />

If I do this I get the trace and the variable is set to the String "anotherArray" which should throw a runtime type error since the variable is Array

I'm pretty confused… worked fine in Beta 3

Regards,

Martin