The situation you describe occurs when the xml nodes are the same i.e.

<root>
<items>
<item label ="1"/>
<item label ="1"/>
<item label ="1"/>
</items>
</root>

There needs to be a difference between the items in order for flex to react properly.

so the below would work

<root>
<items>
<item label ="1"/>
<item label ="2"/>
<item label ="3"/>
</items>
</root>

notice the @label here

<mx:tree labelField="@label" />

hope this clears things up, if your still having problems after this then post back an example to show what it is doing.

Just remember nodes have to be unique, and it works like a charm. I ensure this with a guid.

Jason