If you set up databinding properly, the datagrid will automatically refresh anytime the underlying dataprovider has changes.  Do you not want to do this?  If you're avoiding that and want a "don't change for five minutes and then do it all at once" approach, look at flash.utils.Timer.  You can create a timer and hook up an event to it.