Thanks for that response; it was very helpful! I’ll need to do some tries of my own as I generally end up being both the client and the back-end developer for many of the projects I work on.

Ville

From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:flexcoders@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of JesterXL
Sent: Wednesday, July 05, 2006 19:23
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [flexcoders] ColdFusion vs. PHP as the back-end

First, you CAN pass ValueObjects via Java and PHP.  Java via OpenAMF, and PHP via AMFPHP.  ColdFusion just now has the edge.

Second, Remoting as we refer to it, allows you to:

1. call back-end services like you'd call regular methods

2. pass class objects instead of vanilla data (like Java POJO's), or XML or URL params for simple string / value pairs.  Strong typing for server communication... pimp!

3. allow better communication between you, the client developer, and the back-end developer on "what" you are sending eachother

4. pass the data in binary

So, myCFC.doStuff ( somePersonVO );.  If you are sending a "Person Class" to some method, then the back-end guy knows exactly what you are really sending him.  Same when he says to you, "Yeah, it'll return a list of PersonVO's."  That means, you'll get an array full of Person ValueObject class instances.  Finally, "usually", binary AMF communications is smaller than regular AJAX XML, WebService, and HTTP posts.

Dave Wolf from Cynergy systems will have contentions with that 4th point, mainly because his tests with WebServices seems to have renderered good results in 1.5.  Flash Player 9, however, has greatly improved upon AMF's size via AMF3 encoding, so it'd be good to hear if he has any new tests.