The important thing with tns1:string vs. s:string is that the
namespace prefixes (tns1 and s) point to the XML Schema namespace:

In general with Axis, 'tns1' points to something other than XML
Schema, for instance (from a ColdFusion CFC web service):
  xmlns:tns1="http://rpc.xml.coldfusion";

I hope that helps a little
--
Tom Jordahl