I’m trying to create a folder-manager in flex that allows a user to move, create and delete folders.

The folderstructure gets sent to the client in xml format, like this:

<root>

            <folder label=”ftproot”>

                        <folder label=”subfolder1” />

                        <folder label=”subfolder2” />

            </folder>

            <folder label=”ftproot2” />

</root>

Etc.

This is all working well, I get a treeview, and with some custom icons it looks exactly like the explorer in windows.

The problem arrives when folders are seen as leafs instead of nodes (like every deepest folder for instance, is seen as a leaf)

To enable true drag & drop, every node, also the leafs, should act as a node. In explorer for instance, if you drag a folder on another folder, it is automatically seen as a subfolder.

Since Flex doesn’t allow items to be dragged onto a leaf, I’m having a problem here. Once every folder is on the root node for instance, it’s impossible to move any folder onto another folder.

Anyone with a suggestion? I suppose I’ll have to create a custom itemrenderer and force every item so it ‘thinks’ it has childnodes, but maybe someone could give me a good direction here.

Thanks