I currently have something in (pre-file-upload) Flash with _javascript_ html form hack that that submits a file to a php script.  The php script takes the filename, mimtype, size and bytes and enters them in to a mySQL table.  I have another php file that I use for fetching those files from the table as if they were flat files on the server.  During the fetch process I reconstruct the appropriate header information so that the browser knows what to do with the file when it's received (e.g. if it's an office document, pdf, quicktime, swf etc the appropriate helper application or active-x is used if it's a jpeg it's just opened in the browser), but now I'm not getting jpegs opening in the browser because the options the user is given is save or use photoviewer (which is crap).

Would you suggest a different way?  This was developed in the old days  ;-)  so Flex and RIA approach probably brings a whole new perspective to this.

Cheers,

Phil