I have something similar working.  Try something like this .....

  private function fileBrowse():void {
    var imagesFilter:FileFilter = new FileFilter("Images", "*.jpg;*.jpeg");
    configureListeners(imageFileRef);
    imageName.text = "";
    imageFileRef.browse([imagesFilter]);
   }

private function configureListeners(dispatcher:IEventDispatcher):void {
      dispatcher.addEventListener(Event.COMPLETE, onComplete);
      dispatcher.addEventListener(ProgressEvent.PROGRESS, progressHandler);
      dispatcher.addEventListener(Event.SELECT, onSelect);

|         |  "Shannon Hicks"            |
|         |  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        |
|         |  Sent by:                   |
|         |  flexcoders@yahoogroups.com |
|         |  07/13/2006 01:00 PM        |
|         |  Please respond to          |
|         |  flexcoders                 |

>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |

  |      To: <flexcoders@yahoogroups.com>
                                                |
  |      cc:
                                                |
  |      Subject:  [flexcoders] File Upload problem?
                                                |

>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Ok... I've been playing with the file upload stuff all morning, and am 80%
of the way there. Here's a quick sample of what my Browse button fires:

   private function fileBrowse():void {
    var imagesFilter:FileFilter = new FileFilter("Images", "*.jpg;*.jpeg");
    imageFileRef.addEventListener(Event.COMPLETE, onComplete);
    imageFileRef.addEventListener(ProgressEvent.PROGRESS, progressHandler);
    imageFileRef.addEventListener(Event.SELECT, onSelect);
    imageName.text = "";
    imageFileRef.browse([imagesFilter]);
   }
   private function fileUpload():void {
    uploadProgressPopup = uploadProgressBar(PopUpManager.createPopUp(this,
flexComponents.uploadProgressBar, true));
    var urlVars:URLVariables = new URLVariables();
    urlVars.userID = model.currentUser.userID;
    urlVars.mouseID = model.editMouse.mouseID;

    uploadTarget.data = urlVars;
    uploadTarget.method = URLRequestMethod.POST;

    for (var i:int=0; i < imageFileRef.fileList.length; i++){
     imageFileRef.fileList[i].upload(uploadTarget);

   private function progressHandler(event:ProgressEvent):void {
    var percentLoaded:Number = Number((event.bytesLoaded /
event.bytesTotal) * 100);
    uploadProgressPopup.doUpdateProgress(percentLoaded);
    Alert.show("The file is " + percentLoaded.toString() + "% loaded.");
      }

   private function onComplete(event:Event):void {
    Alert.show("Done.");
             PopUpManager.removePopUp(uploadProgressPopup);
   }
Now, I can browse just fine, and my upload button fires off the upload, and
the files make it safely to the server, where ColdFusion saves them to the
filesystem. The only problem is that my progressHandler() and onComplete()
methods never fire.

Is there some trick? Do I need to have ColdFusion return something?

Shan