FineLine wrote:
> Hi, I have a question for the Mac experts. On Windows, I can embed a
> component written in Flex into a host application using the Shockwave Flash
> ActiveX object, and communicate with it using various method calls and
> events. Is there any equivalent mechanism(s) on the Macintosh?

Sorry I'm late to the discussion... here's a couple of things you might
be seeking:

(Q)  Is there a Mac ActiveX?
(A)  There was, but few used it, and IE/Mac was abandoned by Microsoft
awhile back.

(Q)  Can I add a browser extension to my native-code Macintosh
applications?
(A)  Yes, if you can emulate the Netscape Plugin hosting mechanism.

(Q)  Is there a protocol for Netscape Plugins to communicate with their
host, on Macintosh?
(A)  Yes, the Adobe Flash Player uses a generic externalInterface
wrapper layer for using various host communication protocols, and for
the Netscape Plugin protocol you'd be implementing this API:
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/plugins/npruntime.html

(Q)  How can I render Flash within native-code applications across
platforms?
(A)  Via the above path, but it's a lot of work to write one native-code
application, much less multiple ones which integrate platform-neutral
renderers.

jd

--
John Dowdell . Adobe Developer Support . San Francisco CA USA
Weblog: http://weblogs.macromedia.com/jd

http://us.click.yahoo.com/TISQkA/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/nhFolB/TM