Hi Keith,

Considering visual and deployment issues, Flex would be an excellent
choice for this type of application.  However, as far as I know, an
adapter that connects directly to an Access or SQL Server database
doesn't currently exist.  Perhaps this will be included with Apollo.
To get to the data in these databases, you will have to implement
some form of a web server (IIS).  From there Flex can connect to the
data via a WebService, HTTPService or RemoteObject.  Each of these
methods works very well with Flex.  I'm curently working with a SQL
Server back-end, ASP.Net middle tier and Flex front-end.  If you
would like to contact me off-list ([EMAIL PROTECTED]), I would be
happy to share my experiences with you.

Best Regards,
Tim Hoff

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "moontreeman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Hello Flex-perts,
>
> I am a Project Manager for an industrial application services
> company; a part of the project I am working on currently involves
> KPI and data dashboards for a legacy industrial application
already
> in place.  The purpose of this post is to get your advice on using
> Flex for the solution—which I believe to be suited for the
> requirements—and also seek  freelance Flex/Flash developers that
can
> assist us with the development of a what I think will be a simple
> dashboard.
>
> The legacy application is a client server app installed in
separate
> plants each on separate databases---same application but one site
is
> running on Access DB other is on MSSQL.  The table structures are
> almost identical for both the Access and SQL versions. In this
case,
> the dashboard does not have to be able to link the separate
dataset
> (but that would be good to have)—each site/DB could have its own
> dashboard or we could build one that pulls data from both site
DBs?

> The functionality of dashboard would be pretty straightforward:
> display summary and detailed drill down information for key areas
of
> equipment and maintenance management. I have history and
> understanding of this and the app--and will be able to develop a
> clear business specification for a good Flex developer to help
roll
> into a technical spec. The talk is around doing this with a host
of
> other tools—Cognos to the MS Biz Scorecard tools.   I think Flex
> might be a much choice for several reasons—one major one is that
the
> application needs to stand alone; we will not have web server,
IIS,