Ok, so I have figured this out and boy was it complicated.

There were two issues that combined to make this problem very difficult to track.

First, though flex may be in "build automatically" mode, it does not rebuild when a dependent xml file is changed. So if you make a change to the services-config.xml file, you *have* to clean the project so that everything will be recompiled. Actually I guess you could just open a file and hit space and save it but whatever, you must force a compile.

This was a problem of course because I was not seeing the effects of many changes I was making because I didnt realize I was running the same code!.

The second issue is that {context.root} is undefined until you manually define it. I figured this out fairly early on, and thought I had the solution by setting the context-root element in the flex-config.xml file. But the flex-config.xml file is *only* used if you are compiling your file on the server. It is not used if you are building your apps locally. This means you must define the context-root on the command line.

This is not at all obvious, and in fact as far as I can tell, though it is a basic and critical requirement of FDS, the information is burried in the documentation. This should be one of the primary things that is discussed in relation to an FDS setup, because if you are compiling locally you must add this to your command line.

I think this demonstrates an area where the FDS setup documentation, which is not nearly as nice as the flex setup/getting started doc could be substantially improved. Truth be told, I hate required command line options. Its fine to have it for people who want it, but to have all this cool eclipse UI stuff and then to have something so basic not have its own little text edit box and description is a bit of a waste of the power of the eclipse IDE.

Hank