On 7/24/06, JesterXL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
No, you're not missing anything obvious, it's just hard to keep track of past email discussions on this topic, sorry.

You have a choice; either go dig in the Button class to see how they are rotating the arrow, wait for me to do it this evening, or go take 2 minutes to create the arrows yourself, and use bitmap skins.

I gotcha!  appreciate the offer, but  I'm a glutton  for punishment too.  :)   Not being a Flasher, this could be a good exercise in AS3 as well as Flex framework.  Its kind of surprising the Flex team didn't create a ButtonArrow class that could be reused on other components.  I guess the datechooser is the only control using it though, eh?

I'd vote for the later: Quick, no dependencies, and it'll get you a solution that works sooner than later.  You're not using the framework, but it's a frikin' arrow, whoop-dee-doo, know what I'm sayin'?

Just go into your image editing program (Fireworks / Photoshop):
- create arrow, both left and right
- save as PNG with transparency
- embed as the upSkin for NextButton next arrow, and left arrow for the PrevButton

If you set those in the CSS, you'll be able to do:

And they'll automatically use the skin.  This reduces the amount of code you'll need to write and makes it easy to modify the arrow application wide later.  The DateChooser's arrow shouldn't be that hard to duplicate.

righto, I've been reading up on skinning on adobe's site.  Yeah, in this case it is a simple button.  Larger picture, what if the theme is changed on the application?  Will this method incur changes to the custom skin or would it automagically use the new theme?

thanks again...off and running..well not literally, its too bloody hot in atlanta!
DK