nevermmind - didnt have my mind in gear to think it through...
if its any use to anyone, here's my quick & dirty solution:

private function getPixelWidth(numDays:Number):Number{
            var dAxis:DateTimeAxis = DateTimeAxis(horizontalAxis);
            var w:Number = dataRegion.width;
            var min:Date = dAxis.minimum;
            var max:Date = dAxis.maximum;
            var delta:Number = max.time - min.time;
            var deltaDays:Number = delta / DateUtil.oneDay; // this is just the number of milliseconds in a day
            var pixelsPerDay:Number = w/deltaDays;
            return pixelsPerDay * numDays;
        }